2017 Cruze Diesel ? - Chevy Cruze SS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

2017 Cruze Diesel ?

It seems there's a chance that the Chevy Cruze could possibly be coming with a 1.6L Diesel 4 Cylinder. Interesting.. really not too sure how I feel about this but I can see there is a market for it. Would be beneficial to have one don't ya think ?

"Speaking with the development team during our first drive of the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze , we asked about the diesel in particular. The Cruze sedan has already been confirmed to receive the oil burner, plucked from corporate cousin Opel. In Opel’s usage, the 1.6-liter CDTI four-cylinder diesel makes 136 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque. That program is still on track to arrive in early 2017 along with the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze hatchback with petrol "

"
However, when pushing for extra information, Chevrolet danced around the idea of a diesel hatchback, all but confirming it will be a reality. Specifically, the brand stated both the sedan and hatchback are identical in the front, and will support the same powerplants. This was before going on to say there will be “three or four more drive programs” upcoming. What does that mean? Chevrolet will be inviting media to sample a few other variants of Cruze in the near future.
A few times we were also told the Cruze family would grow, and the sedan and hatchback were only a first phase for the compact car. Knowing a diesel hatchback is likely, we hope Chevrolet will also fill a niche for a hot hatch variant, too. But, that’s another discussion entirely.
Now, we can only hope a manual gearbox may be paired with the low end grunt of the four-cylinder diesel."

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM

If they do release a diesel Cruze SS, it probably won't make it's way to NA and we'll just get the gas variant. You don't see many diesel cars around here, just trucks.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

True ... other than the VWs, that's pretty much it.. I think the European market would be a lot better for it though ?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 AM

The Diesel hot hatch is slim picking right now, or at least I think so, and a diesel Cruze Ss will have to compete with the VW Golf, Ford Focus, Seat Leon, Peugeot 308 and Skoda Octavia.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 01:19 PM

I have noticed a lack of interest in diesel compacts. When it comes to diesel trucks, people jump all over them but diesel compacts are a different story.

BMW came out with a diesel 3 series and from the looks of it so far, they don't have that good of a street presence.

Overall, just think about how many diesels you've seen compared to petrol cars.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

That is some serious competition.. and most definitely. But I think thats primarily in North America.. Based on the videos/reading I've done, diesel cars are a success in other regions
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 AM

Besides lack of interest in diesel hatchbacks, aren't Diesel variants more expensive than the conventional gas trims?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Typically I think they are. Considering they're extended range and what not
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM

"Chevrolet will be inviting media to sample a few other variants of Cruze in the near future." So they may come out with more variants besides the typical diesel and gas?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising View Post
"Chevrolet will be inviting media to sample a few other variants of Cruze in the near future." So they may come out with more variants besides the typical diesel and gas?
Hybrid options perhaps ? I doubt they'll do a full EV variant

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page